Last Update: May 24, 2018
Collection and Use of Information
Information Collected or Received from You
We will collect any information that you submit via the Services. Depending on the information you submit, this information may be information that can be used to identify you, such as your name, email address or phone number (“Personal Information”); or it may be information that is not considered Personal Information because it cannot be used by itself to identify you. This information may include: *Account Information. When you use the Services or create an account in the PerimeterX Service (“Account”), you may provide and we may collect Personal Information
- Payment Information. We collect your financial information (such as your bank account or credit card information) if you make a payment using the Services in order to process payments in accordance with applicable law.
- Communications with PerimeterX. When you communicate with PerimeterX we collect information about your communication and any information you choose to provide.
- Other Information. You may choose to provide us with additional Personal Information in order to obtain a better user experience when using PerimeterX. This additional information will be processed based on your consent. This information may include information you choose to provide us when you fill in a form, conduct a search, update or add information to your Account, respond to surveys, post, participate in promotions, or use other features of the Services.
“Automatically Collected” Information
When you use the Services or open one of our HTML e-mails, we may automatically and record information, including Personal Information, about how you use our Services. This information is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract between you and us, to enable us to comply with legal obligations and given our legitimate interest in being able to provide and improve the functionalities of the Services. This information may include:
- Information Related to Use of the Site. Our servers automatically record certain information about how a person uses our Site (we refer to this information as “Log Data”) (each, a “User”). Log Data may include information such as a User’s Internet Protocol (IP) address, browser type, operating system, the web page that a User was visiting before accessing our Site, the pages or features of our Site to which a User browsed and the access date and time spent on those pages or features, search terms, the links on our Site that a User clicked on, other user engagement and interaction metrics and other statistics. We use Log Data to administer the Site and we analyze (and may engage third parties to analyze) Log Data to improve, customize and enhance our Site by expanding their features and functionality and tailoring them to our Users’ needs and preferences. We may use a person’s IP address to generate aggregate, non-identifying information about how our Site is used.
- Third Party Web Beacons. “Web Beacons” (also known as Web bugs, pixel tags or clear GIFs) are tiny graphics with a unique identifier that may be included on our Site for several purposes, including to deliver or communicate with Cookies, to track and measure the performance of our Site, to monitor how many visitors view our Site, and to monitor the effectiveness of our advertising. Unlike Cookies, which are stored on the user’s hard drive, Web Beacons are typically embedded invisibly on web pages (or in an e-mail).
- Information Sent by Your Mobile Device. We may collect certain information that your mobile device sends when you use our Site, like a device identifier, user settings and the operating system of your device, as well as information about your use of our Site.
- Location Information. When you use our Site, we may collect and store information about your location by converting your IP address into a rough geo-location or by accessing your mobile device’s GPS coordinates or coarse location if you enable location services on your device. We may use location information to improve and personalize our Site for you. If you do not want us to collect location information, you may disable that feature on your mobile device.
Information Collected or Received from Customers
PerimeterX uses four types of cookies for the following purposes:
- Necessary Cookies – Necessary Cookies are first party Cookies that are essential to navigate the Site and use the Services. For example, essential Cookies help remember your preferences as you move around the Site.
- Statistics Cookies – Statistics Cookies collect anonymous data for statistical purposes on your use of the Services. We use information supplied by statistics Cookies to help understand how you use the Services, to monitor aggregate usage and web traffic routing, and to improve and customize the Services. These Cookies don’t contain Personal Information and are generally third party Cookies, set by independent analytics companies.
- Preferences Cookies – These cookies are used during your visit to the Site to remember information you have entered or choices you make, and they permit us to remember your preferences for future visits.
- Marketing Cookies – These third party Cookies are placed by advertising companies to collect information about your activities to deliver targeted and relevant ads to you and to track ad performance. These third party companies have their own privacy and cookie policies, and they may use their Cookies to target advertising to you on other websites, based on your visit to our Site.
How Can I Control My Cookies?
You can manage and disable statistics Cookies, preferences Cookies or marketing Cookies through our Cookie Management Tool or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be aware that if you disable Cookies, some features or functionalities of the Services may not work properly. You can prevent Cookies from being placed on your device through your browser settings by following the instructions set out at allaboutcookies.org. Most browsers also provide the ability to let you review and erase Cookies. You can also opt-out of third party targeting or advertising Cookies through the Digital Advertising Alliance, the Network Advertising Initiative or the European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance.
Use of Information Collected
Our primary goals in collecting information are to provide and improve our Services, to develop new products, to administer use of the Services and to enable users to enjoy and easily navigate our Services.
We Use Personal Information:
- To Operate and Provide Services. We collect and use Personal Information and other information to operate and provide you with our Services in accordance with our legitimate interests. We also use Personal Information to process payments for use of our Services.
- For Informational, Promotional and Survey Purposes. We may use your Personal Information to inform you of our product and service offerings, subject to your ability to opt-out of receiving such information as described below. We may also contact you via surveys to conduct research about your opinion of current Services features or of potential new services. These activities are based on our legitimate interest in undertaking marketing activities to offer you products or services that may be of your interest.
- For Customized and Efficient Provision of Services. PerimeterX keeps track of the websites and pages you visit within our platform and what features and algorithms you use and how frequently. We use this information to maintain and improve the content, design, usability and quality of the Services; to improve your user experience; to generate and provide statistics regarding use of the platform and the Services to deliver customized content and advertising to Users whose behavior indicated that they are interested in a particular subject area, and to develop new product and service offerings. These activities are based on our legitimate interest in improving the functionalities of the Services.
- Maintaining the Security of the Services and Complying with Applicable Law. We may use the information to prevent potentially prohibited or illegal activities, to detect and prevent fraud, spam, abuse, security incidents, and other harmful activity, to conduct security investigations and risk assessments, comply with our legal obligations, resolve any disputes with any of our Users and enforce our agreements with third parties, and to enforce our agreements and other policies.
We process this information given our legitimate interest in (i) improving the Services and our Users’ experience with it, (ii) protecting the Services, (iii) measuring the adequate performance of our contract with you and where it is necessary to process such data for adequate performance of the contract with you, (iv) undertaking marketing activities to offer you products or services that may be of interest to you, subject to your request to opt out of such marketing activities, and (iv) complying with applicable laws. Please review “Your Rights and Choices” below.
How we Use Customer Property Information
We use the Customer Property Information, along with other information which our Customers may provide us, to provide the PerimeterX Service to our Customers, and we analyze (and may engage third parties to analyze) this information to improve, customize and enhance our products and services by expanding their features and functionality and tailoring them to our Customers’ needs and preferences. We may share aggregated information and non-identifying information with third parties for industry research and analysis, demographic profiling and other similar purposes. If we, in good faith, believe we have identified a threat, such as malware, a denial of service attack or other malicious activity, we may publish the originating IP address of such threat.
Information that We Share with Third Parties
We will not share any Personal Information that we have collected from or regarding you except as described below:
- With Your Consent. Where you have provided consent, we share your information, including Personal Information, as described at the time of consent, such as when you authorize a third party application or website to access your Account or when you participate in promotional activities conducted by PerimeterX partners or third parties.
- Services Providers. We may engage third-party services providers to work with us to administer and provide the Services. These third-party services providers have access to and may collect Personal Information only for the purpose of performing services on our behalf and are not permitted to share or use the information for any other purpose. They are also required to follow the same data security practices that we ourselves adhere to, and they may be located inside or outside of the European Economic Area (“EEA”).
- Aggregated and Anonymous Information. We may share aggregated information and anonymous information with third parties for industry research and analysis, demographic profiling and other similar purposes. This information does not contain any Personal Information.
- Business Transactions. Information that we collect from our Users, including Personal Information, is considered to be a business asset. Thus, if we are acquired by a third party as a result of a transaction such as a merger, acquisition or asset sale or if our assets are acquired by a third party in the event we go out of business or enter bankruptcy, some or all of our assets, including your Personal Information, may be disclosed or transferred to a third party acquirer in connection with the transaction.
- Disclosed for Our Protection and the Protection of Others. We cooperate with government and law enforcement officials or private parties to enforce and comply with the law. We may disclose any information about you to government or law enforcement officials or private parties as we, in our sole discretion, believe necessary or appropriate: (i) to respond to claims, legal process (including subpoenas); (ii) to protect our property, rights and safety and the property, rights and safety of a third party or the public in general; and (iii) to stop any activity that we consider illegal, unethical or legally actionable activity.
The length of time we retain Personal Information depends on a number of factors relating to our business needs and legal requirements. In general, we will keep Personal Information for such time as required by applicable law or to exercise our legal rights.
Your Rights and Choices
We offer you choices regarding the collection, use and sharing of your Personal Information and we’ll respect the choices you make. Please note that if you decide not to provide us with the Personal Information that we request, you may not be able to access all the features of the Services. You may exercise any of the rights described in this section below by sending an email to email@example.com. Please note that we may ask you to verify your identity before taking further action on your request.
Modifying Your Information
If you want us to delete information we hold about you, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your request. We may request further information from you to verify that you are the user who submitted the information in question. We will consider your request on an individual basis and, if we hold Personal Information about you, we will take steps to delete that information. Please note that in the event we take steps to delete specific information at your request, some information may remain in archived/backup copies for our records or as otherwise required by law.
Data Access and Portability
In some jurisdictions, applicable law may entitle you to request copies of your Personal Information held by us. You may also be entitled to request copies of Personal Information that you have provided to us in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format and/or request us to transmit this information to another service provider (where technically feasible).
Data Retention and Erasure
We generally retain your Personal Information for as long as is necessary for the performance of the contract between you and us and to comply with our legal obligations. If you no longer want us to use your information to provide the Services to you, you can request that we erase your Personal Information and close your Account. Please note that if you request the erasure of your Personal Information:
- We may retain some of your Personal Information as necessary for our legitimate business interests, such as fraud detection and prevention and enhancing safety.
- We may retain and use your Personal Information to the extent necessary to comply with our legal obligations.
- Some copies of your information (e.g., log records) may remain in our database, but are disassociated from personal identifiers. Because we maintain the Services to protect from accidental or malicious loss and destruction, residual copies of your Personal Information may not be removed from our backup systems for a limited period of time.
Withdrawing Consent and Restricting Processing
Where you have provided your consent to the processing of your Personal Information by PerimeterX, you may withdraw your consent at any time by changing your Account settings or by sending a communication to PerimeterX specifying which consent you are withdrawing. Please note that the withdrawal of your consent does not affect the lawfulness of any processing activities based on such consent before its withdrawal. Additionally, in some jurisdictions, applicable law may give you the right to limit the ways in which we use your Personal Information, in particular where (i) you contest the accuracy of your Personal Information; (ii) the processing is unlawful and you oppose the erasure of your Personal Information; (iii) we no longer need your Personal Information for the purposes of the processing, but you require the information for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims; or (iv) you have objected to the processing pursuant to your right to object to processing (below) and pending the verification whether the legitimate grounds of PerimeterX override your own.
Objection to Processing
In some jurisdictions, applicable law may entitle you to require PerimeterX not to process your Personal Information for certain specific purposes (including profiling) where such processing is based on legitimate interest. If you object to such processing, PerimeterX will no longer process your Personal Information for these purposes unless we can demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for such processing or such processing is required for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims.
Responding to Do Not Track Signals
Our Site does not have the capability to respond to “Do Not Track” signals received from various web browsers.
The Security of Your Information
We take reasonable administrative, physical and electronic measures designed to protect the information that we collect from or about you (including your Personal Information) from unauthorized access, use or disclosure. When you enter sensitive information on our forms, we encrypt this data using SSL or other technologies. Please be aware, however, that no method of transmitting information over the Internet or storing information is completely secure. Accordingly, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us or store on the Services and you do so at your own risk. We also cannot guarantee that such information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards.
Links to Other Sites
Our Policy Toward Children
Our Site is not directed to children under 18, and we do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under 18. If we learn that we have collected Personal Information of a child under 18 we will take steps to delete such information from our files as soon as possible.
Your Personal Information may be transferred to, and maintained on, computers located outside of your state, province, country or other governmental jurisdiction where the privacy laws may not be as protective as those in your jurisdiction. If you’re located outside the United States and choose to provide your Personal Information to us, we may transfer your Personal Information to the United States and process it there.
California Privacy Rights
California residents may request and obtain from us, once a year, free of charge, a list of third parties, if any, to which we disclosed their Personal Information for direct marketing purpose during the preceding calendar year and the categories of Personal Information shared with those third parties. If you are a California resident and wish to obtain that information, please submit your request by sending us an email at email@example.com with “California Privacy Rights” in the subject line.